Solidarity

Recently, I had the opportunity to be apart of the Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice in Washington, DC. This is my second year attending the Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice Event. The Ignatian Solidarity Network promotes leadership and advocacy among student, alumni, and other leaders from Jesuit schools, parishes and ministries. The Ignatian Solidarity Network educates its members on social justice issues by forming a national network to address those issues. They encourage a life-long commitment to the “service of faith and promotion of justice”. Although I’m not involved in political issues, I wanted to educate myself to what’s going on in our society. I learned the vision of the Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice is that they are grounded in the spiritual vision of St. Ignatius of Loyola and committed to “The Gospel of Jesus Christ in which faith and justice are undivided”. The Ignatian Solidarity Network (ISN) unites Jesuit institutions and the broader Ignatian family for a transformative experience of solidarity. The Ignatian Solidarity Network was inspired by the witness of the Salvadoran martyrs. ISN is committed to serving the next generation of leaders who will shape the church’s work for faith and justice. ISN strives to create a community of empowered individuals and institutions rooted in Christian faith, committed to Gospel justice and united in a common purpose (www.ignatiansolidarity.net).

I traveled with the UDM students who met with Michigan Senators and their staffers in Washington, D.C. The students met with the Senators and their staffers to discuss legalization that ensures undocumented immigrants to have access to full rights. I spoke with a student colleague, who is an undocumented immigrant. She came to the states as a young girl from Mexico. She never received her citizenship in the U.S. and she have been an honor student all of her school years. She told me that because she was an undocumented immigrant it was very hard for her to received grants, and in some cases scholarships to attend college. Some colleges decline her acceptance because of her immigration status. I was so uneducated about this issue. My perception of immigrants was that they get tax breaks, grants and scholarships all kinds of perks because they came over to the U.S. This was definitely an opportunity to educate myself on social issues.

Why can’t we unite as humans, all race, all cultures, all countries?

Ms. Garrrettt!