Thursday, December 19 “O Root of Jesse”
For a range of interpretations of the Root of Jesse, maybe start with wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Jesse. Or just listen to the sung version and read the original Latin along with the English translation.
“O Radix Jesse, qui stas in signum populorum, super quem continebunt reges os suum, quem gentes deprecabuntur: veni ad liberandum nos, jam noli tardare”
“O Root of Jesse,sign for all peoples, in whose presence kinds stand silent, before whom nations bow down in worship. Come to liberate us, do not delay.”
- December 17: O Sapientia (O Wisdom)
- December 18: O Adonai (O Lord)
- December 19: O Radix Jesse (O Root of Jesse)
- December 20: O Clavis David (O Key of David)
- December 21: O Oriens (O Dayspring)
- December 22: O Rex Gentium (O King of the nations)
- December 23: O Emmanuel (O With Us is God)
p.s. If you sing this by the side of the road, watch out for highway patrols.