March 25 — Denise Levertov “Problems . . . jostle for my attention”

Wednesday, March 25 – “Winds peak c. 23 mph about 3:00 pm, after spring rain, then a passing smile of sun,” so says Weather.com

Weather.com says this Wednesday is getting ready to be a classic spring day:  a system change passing through from the South, South-West — our gummy weather direction,  bringing some measurable rain and gusty winds, peaking c. 23 mph in mid afternoon.    The weather-wise will notice that we’ve been short of rain, nothing like suffering California, but still overdue.   Then, a little after 3:00 pm the wind changes direction, from SSW to WSW and brings in late afternoon sun and some more wind.  All this beauty waiting to be noticed while we carry along the day’s commitments:  Beauty and wonder; Beauty and sloppy puddles;  Beauty and deadlines.  We work and walk in mystery.

The Work Day blog hosts poets of many faiths and some who refrain from religious faith.  Denise Levertov celebrates a creator God whose attention is not easily distracted.  In this mode, she reminds me of Tagore.  Best read the poem out loud, with pauses.

Have a blest day.

john sj

p.s.       UDM’s neighbor high school, UD Jesuit, packed the McNichols campus’ parking lots for a quarterfinals hoop game with Clarkson,  Won at the buzzer with a daring layup.  A tip of my 6 Mile baseball cap to these disciplined 7 Milers who played their game here on our street.

Today’s Post  “Primary Wonder”

Days pass when I forget the mystery.
Problems insoluble and problems offering
their own ignored solutions
jostle for my attention, they crowd its antechamber
along with a host of diversions, my courtiers, wearing
their colored clothes; caps and bells.
And then
once more the quiet mystery
is present to me, the throng’s clamor
recedes:  the mystery
that there is anything, anything at all,
let alone cosmos, joy, memory, everything,
rather than void: and that, 0 Lord,
Creator, Hallowed one, You still,
hour by hour sustain it.

— Denise Levertov

Denise-Levertov

p.s.       Bishop Bob Morneau, a family friend from Wisconsin, wrote a piece “Every month, I put a poet in my pocket.”  Sr. Gerry Finan, a New York friend emailed it to me this morning.  Bob called attention to this Denise Levetov  poem I had til now missed.   I owe both friends.

ncronline.org/blogs/soul-seeing/every-month-i-put-poet-my-pocket

Bob-Morneau

This entry was posted in Poetry. Bookmark the permalink.