Sept 6 — attacks on DACA

Aug 21 Dunya Mikhail – a poet, a historian, a voice

I stray today from an editorial principle, “do not re-post the same poet/poem too soon.”  But here I am re-posting Dunya Mikhail’s “My Grandmother’s Grave” (August 21 and now September 6).   I do so to add the voice of this “Work Day/Hard Time” list to the voices of the Sisters of Mercy and the Jesuits in the network of 28 Jesuit universities across the US  (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/catholic-clergy-condemn-daca-decision_us_59af2475e4b0b5e53101d190?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009).   These networks of Detroit Mercy’s sponsoring religious communities join other voices as we object to the Trump administration’s decision to bring more misery and uncertainty to c. 800,000 Dreamer students.   I might have posted Warsan Shire’s “Home” or Joy Harjo’s “Grace” too.  All three women write poems to help readers get our imaginations around the fear of immigrants that, as in the violent years after World War I (c. 1919-1924), grips this country.

Perhaps Dunya comes to mind today because she shares my faith tradition as a Chaldean Catholic, and is a fellow citizen of Metro Detroit.

Have a blest day, awash as it is, in early autumn’s crisp clean air.

john sj

This entry was posted in Poetry. Bookmark the permalink.