As we approach the Thanksgiving season, we remember that a grateful heart is a joyful heart. However, Thanksgiving should be more than a time to reflect on our blessings or express gratitude. We should also remember that there are those among us who struggle daily for many things we tend to take for granted — including access to food.
In the city of Detroit, 48% of residents lack access at all times to an affordable, healthy, safe and culturally appropriate supply of food. Nationwide, between 19% and 56% of college students are food insecure with higher food insecurity among first-generation students and student from low-income groups. A 2019 survey at Detroit Mercy indicated a rate of food insecurity among students at this University at above 40%.
The Human Resources Department and Metz Dining Services are challenging the University community to get involved in a fundraising contest over the next several weeks. All proceeds will go to support food security initiatives here at Detroit Mercy with the Titan Equity Nourish Network (TENN) and The Hive student pantry.
The contest rules feature special dress down days on the following dates:
- Special dress down days will be allowed on the following dates: Wednesday, Nov. 29 (From 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Buddy’s Pizza on Conant Street in Detroit is giving 20% of all proceeds to TENN if you tell the staff you are supporting them or if you enter “GIVEBACK” as the promo for online orders); Thursday, Nov. 30, Friday, Dec. 1, Thursday, Dec. 7, Friday, Dec. 8, Thursday, Dec. 14 and Friday, Dec. 15.
- Departments that want to take part are free to determine how much of a donation they wish to charge colleagues to participate. Interested employees should discuss their department’s participation with their supervisors. Supervisors have the discretion to substitute dates for those listed if appropriate in their area. For those areas where employees are required to wear uniforms, supervisors can define what constitutes acceptable dress down apparel.
- All proceeds should be delivered to the Human Resources Department on a weekly basis.
- The winning department will be announced on Wednesday, Dec. 20!
- As a reward, Metz is generously donating a cheese tray, a vegetable tray and a fruit tray to be delivered at the department’s holiday celebration. Each tray will serve 15-25 individuals.
Feel free to contact the HR department at HR@udmercy.edu if you have any questions about the contest. If you would like additional information about TENN, contact staff coordinator Chelsea Manning at email@example.com after Nov. 21 or Tim Hipskind at firstname.lastname@example.org before Nov. 21. For additional information about The Hive, contact Adam Hollmann at email@example.com.