Detroit Mercy’s DCDC has taken up new offices at Neighborhood HomeBase on McNichols Road near Livernois Thursday. It’s designed to be a space for neighborhood meetings and a resource for revitalization of the area.
Recent charitable grants totaling more than half a million dollars will support scholarships, programs, faculty research and community outreach at University of Detroit Mercy.
The two largest grants, totaling $420,000, were made by the Kresge Foundation to the Detroit Collaborative Design Center (DCDC), a nonprofit architecture and urban design firm within the School of Architecture dedicated to creating sustainable spaces and communities through quality design and the collaborative process. The DCDC’s goals are similar to those of the Kresge Foundation, whose mission is to “expand opportunities in America’s cities by investing in arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development in Detroit.”
Over 25 years, the DCDC has worked with more than 100 nonprofit organizations, community groups and philanthropic foundations. It has won national awards for its groundbreaking work.
Other recent grants were:
- · $80,000 from the Sutaruk Foundation to fund $5,000 scholarships for 16 students within the College of Engineering & Science.
- · $30,000 from the Dewitt C. Holbrook Memorial Fund to provide support for Detroit Mercy Law’s Federal Pro Se Legal Assistance Clinic, and legal education for volunteer attorneys assisting at the clinic.
- · $20,000 from the Old Newsboys’ Goodfellow Fund of Detroit to the School of Dentistry’s Mobile Dentistry Program and Pediatric Clinic to provide dental care not covered by insurance for children in kindergarten through eighth grade.
- · $5,000 from the Dewitt C. Holbrook Memorial Fund to support the March 2020 Detroit Mercy Law Symposium: Race, Class and the Environment.
- · $5,000 from the Dewitt C. Holbrook Memorial Fund to support professional education and free legal clinics to Detroit residents through the Detroit Mercy Law Expungement Clinic.