University of Detroit Mercy’s University Advancement Division announces the second annual “Clash of the Titans” giving competition to help support Detroit Mercy NCAA Division I athletic teams.
The competition runs from Oct. 30 to Nov. 27, 2018.
The goals of this effort are to increase financial support for teams from alumni and friends, and create a friendly competition to determine which Detroit Mercy Division I team can raise the most funds to support specific program needs.
“Clash of the Titans” utilizes the institution’s crowdfunding platform through the Office of Annual Giving, explained Judy Wernette, director of the office.
“Last year, this effort raised more than $100,000 for our 19 Division I athletic teams, thanks to the contributions from alumni, supporters and friends,” she said. “This initiative helps teams fulfill a number of important needs. The Detroit Mercy Crowdfunding platform continues to help on a number of fronts at the University, and we’re looking forward to using this resource once again for this annual athletics giving competition,” she added.
Wernette also said that because the University’s Division I athletic teams must travel around the country to compete, the department needed to help identify a new means of support. This is why “Clash of the Titans” was created in 2017 and continues today. It allows student-athletes and coaches to directly engage with their fan bases and encourage supporters to help each team fulfill important needs.
Detroit Mercy Titan teams will compete against one another. The team that raises the most funding support according to specific guidelines will receive an additional $5,000 contribution from the University.
Through crowdfunding, Detroit Mercy can effectively raise important support for programs, services and research activities through targeted efforts to ensure growth and sustainability. The University is pleased to accept donations of any amount to support a multitude of diverse projects.
Currently, 11 Detroit Mercy teams have listed the following goals for their fundraising efforts. Additionally, the University seeks contributors for the lighting project, which will help upgrade the outdoor athletic facilities.
- Women’s Softball: Donations will support off-campus practice dome fees, flights for spring games and softball apparel and equipment, as well as improvements to the practice facilities.
- Track and Field: Donations will help the team purchase equipment, as well as fund travel expenses.
- Women’s Basketball: Contributions will support artwork for the office space and a nice team meal in New York over Thanksgiving.
- Men’s Basketball: Contributions will support the remodeling of the showers and bathroom in the locker room and improve the overall lighting throughout the locker room.
- Women’s Soccer: Funds will support new turf and circulation fans or ventilation for the locker room.
- Men’s Soccer: Contributions will support the purchase of In-Stat software for team and player development, rental facilities for winter training and travel expenses.
- Women’s Lacrosse: Gifts will support updates to the locker room, including new signage, and travel to and from tournaments.
- Men’s Lacrosse: Contributions will support travel expenses.
- Women’s Golf: Donations will help improve the golf hitting area in Calihan, along with spring break travel to Florida.
- Men’s Golf: Donor support will help the team to travel and compete in events down south during the winter months and provide increased practice time.
- Fencing: Support for the team will help purchase new scoring machines and fencing strips.
- Lighting Project: Donors will also have an opportunity to make a contribution to the upgrade of our outdoor athletic facilities. An investment in lighting means student-athletes can practice in the evening and the University will be able to schedule night games so we can host tournaments.
Please consider making a contribution to any and all teams or the lighting project. For more information, please visit impact.udmercy.edu/g/titans or call the Detroit Mercy Office of Annual Giving at 313-993-1582.
As a reminder, the competition runs from Oct. 30 to Nov. 27, 2018. For more information, visit the Detroit Mercy Athletics website.