Detroit Mercy is pleased to release the institution’s line-up of virtual summer camps for students in southeast Michigan. Camps are geared toward students ages of 13-17, as well as college juniors and seniors. These programs offer an opportunity for middle and high school students to learn about interesting fields of study while having fun with their peers. The following camps will be available between May and August 2021:
Dentistry Summer Enrichment Program
This program provides educational and professional development experiences for underrepresented minorities and/or disadvantaged students to help them gain admission into dental school and pursue a career in dentistry.
- Self-paced program: May 3-23
- Virtual program: May 24-June 25
- Students accepted: College juniors or seniors, or those who have graduated within the last five years and have completed the necessary science coursework to take the Dental Admission Test (DAT) after the Summer Enrichment Program.
CyberCamp is a great way to discover the world of cybersecurity. Students will learn about the basics of cybersecurity and this exciting career field. On Friday, students will go head-to-head and compete virtually against each other, in a mini version of the CyberPatriot Competition.
- Two virtual camps: June 21-25 and July 12-16, 9-11 a.m.
- For more information, contact Tamara Shoemaker at 734-707-8652 or email@example.com. You can also find more venues across Michigan hosting CyberCamp at micyberpatriot.com.
Black Girls CODE
This two-week camp provides hands-on, project-based instruction for girls ages 13-17. The camp provides opportunities where girls can learn computer science and coding principles in the company of other girls, with mentorship from women they can see themselves becoming. Participants will be introduced to computing and will incorporate programming to build real-world applications to solve problems within their communities.
- July 12-23, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Students accepted: Girls ages 13-17
Science Engineering Exploration Camp (SEEC)
- SEEC Program I: The Science & Engineering Exploration Camp is a one-week day camp that introduces campers to the exciting world of engineering, science and robotics. Program participants will build and program a robot, while gaining an understanding of manufacturing techniques, robotic control systems, circuits and sensors.
- SEEC Program II: This is an advanced engineering camp with activities related to coding, autonomous robotics and other activities supporting areas of electronics, mechanics and computer engineering. Participants will be completing a prototype autonomous robot.