Meet the UDM Class of 2027

Meet the UDM Class of 2027

The fall semester at University of Detroit Mercy is in full swing, so Marketing & Communications student intern Zahra Albdair asked several Titan freshmen how their experience has been thus far. Here’s what they had to say:

Grace Steffes stands near the edge of a parking garage in Detroit while posing for a photo.
Grace Steffes

Grace Steffes
High School: Divine Child High School
Hometown: Redford, Mich.
Major: Social Work 

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
I am here on a track scholarship, but I was introduced to the University by my father, who went here, and my older brother, who currently goes here as well. The moment I toured the campus it felt like home.

What has your experience at Detroit Mercy been like so far?
I really like it so far. I have made a lot of new friends. It’s the same routine every day, but the University is in an area where you could always have something to do. Things are still new to me as a first-year student, but every time I head home, I can’t wait to come back to campus. It’s my home.

What are your interests or hobbies?
I like swing dancing and ministry.

What are some of your goals and how might Detroit Mercy help make them happen?
I hope to find my own way and fully develop into the person I want to be.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose Social Work because I never had a huge interest in math and science the way I love working one-on-one with people. I am a social person and the feeling when you help someone is a huge benefit.

What are you hoping to experience during the next four years?
I am looking forward to my track season. Overall, I hope I do well. I also hope I keep a good GPA and do well in school. The end goal is a good career at the end of it.

Where is your favorite spot on campus?
I love the Library. I’m usually there a lot, because I struggle to do homework in my dorms.

Mary Courtright smiles for a photo in front of a basket of flowers.
Mary Courtright

Mary Courtright
High School: Allen Park High School
Hometown: Allen Park, Mich.
Major: 5-year PA (Physician Assistant) program

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
Detroit Mercy has always been my family school. My parents actually met here, and they have been happily married for 22 years. My two older brothers are currently students here as well. I was a bit hesitant because I wanted to be able to find myself without my family around, but as soon as I toured the campus, I loved it. You can’t find academic programs as great elsewhere.

I currently live on campus. I have a lot of little siblings, so living at home wasn’t the best choice and I wanted more independence. I love the teachers; they teach during their lecture rather than just talking to you. The faculty is incredibly supportive and there are many resources I am thankful for. Door holding is also a big thing here that I have noticed. Everyone is so nice and it’s sweet that my door is always held open by the person in front of me.

What is one interesting fact about you that people may want to know?
I am a big coffee person. I love coffee.

What are your interests or hobbies?
I love volleyball. I made the club team here at Detroit Mercy and I am extremely excited about it. I also read a lot during my free time, and I like to enjoy my friends’ company.

What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned in college so far?
The biggest lesson I learned was to stay patient. I expected to make best friends with other students the first week of school, and I put a lot of pressure on myself when I didn’t make such strong connections that quickly. I realized I did not need to put pressure on myself, and I have been able, over time, to form good connections with people that were not forced.

I have been teaching myself how to study correctly because in high school I never struggled. My professor has given information on studying methods and I realized I learn better when I speak out loud and hear myself say the content.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose my major after my grandmother got sick and how well the physician assistant took care of her and my family. I realized that my previous idea of majoring in Engineering was not how I wanted to spend my days in the future.

Where is your favorite spot on campus?
I like the second floor of the Library. It’s very quiet and I am able to get a lot of work done.  

Devin Wouters poses for a photo while sitting down amongst some trees.
Devin Wouters

Devin Wouters
High School: De La Salle Collegiate High School
Hometown: Fraser, Mich.
Major: Business/5-year MBA

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
I choose Detroit Mercy for a couple of reasons: my mom is an alumna here and I wanted to go to a Catholic university because I enjoyed going to a Catholic high school. It’s also close to home and I’m able to commute to class every day.

I have enjoyed the University so far. I was able to make a couple of good friends prior to the start of the semester through SOAR. The professors and school really care for the students, and because of the small ratio of students to teachers in classes, I do feel like my teachers care and want to help me. My high school was small, too, so it was not a huge shift entering the University.

I have played just about every sport growing up. I love baseball, football, basketball and all sport related things.

What are your interests or hobbies?
My interests are all things sports: learning, watching and playing them. I work part-time at a sports memorabilia store. I really love driving and music as well.

My biggest lesson is time management, staying organized on my assignments and knowing when the due dates are, and knowing the amount of time I need to prioritize finishing those assignments. Especially with working part-time, having suitable time management will help me not be so overwhelmed.

I hope to learn more about business. As of now, I am leaning towards marketing, so I hope to learn more information about it and see if it’s something that fits me. Within the next couple of years here during undergraduate, I hope to connect with great internships, as well one specifically in marketing.

Why did you choose your major?
I initially applied for the 7-year Dental program and I realized it was not something I wanted to do. I started to look for other majors and saw how great the College of Business Administration was here. I chose Business as my major because of the wider range of paths one can take with this degree. I also realized my own personal strengths and weakness, and realized this major was a much better fit.

I hope to build a strong social network within the business world in general, as well as within the University between my fellow classmates and professors. I have really enjoyed it thus far and I just hope to keep that these next couple of years here.

Where is your favorite spot on campus?
I go to the Library a lot. I also spend some of my time in Shiple with my friends who dorm there.

Giovanni Romero uses chopsticks to eat food at a restaurant.
Giovanni Romero

Giovanni Romero
High School: Detroit Cristo Rey High School
Hometown: Detroit
Major: Philosophy and Criminal Justice double major

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
I toured Detroit Mercy initially with Dollars for Scholars. There, I fell in love with the campus and the people, compared to the other universities I toured. The University was affordable and close to home, so I could commute back and forth.

I have had a great time so far. Detroit Mercy makes me feel very safe, both in terms of security and the ability to be who I am. I was a shy kid in high school, but at the University, this community is very welcoming, and it has helped me to be more social and extend my social network.

I am first generation, the first amongst my family to be born in America as well as entering higher education. My parents didn’t finish school.

What are your interests or hobbies?
I really enjoy reading and writing. I am not the type to express myself to other people, so I journal instead. The type of books I enjoy are dystopian books.

The biggest lesson I have learned so far is that everyone feels the same anxious feeling that I did entering Detroit Mercy. I realized I am not alone.

My goals are to continue and finish school. I want to work on staying on top of my schoolwork and not procrastinate. Detroit Mercy also has a lot of accessible resources that the University itself and my professors have stressed are available to help.

Why did you choose your major?
My first major, Philosophy, was chosen because I wanted to learn more about how people think. I believe there is a benefit in that for both my career goals as well as my social skills. My second major, Criminal Justice, was always something I was interested in as a child. I used to watch police shows and I really want to be able to be a person others can look at for support and protection.

During the next four years, I hope to become more social. I want to meet more people and not stay so closed off. With all the people here, I see myself already getting better with meeting people from diverse backgrounds and learning more.

Where is your favorite spot on campus?
My favorite spot on campus is the bottom floor of the Commerce & Finance building, near the vending machines. 

Mercedes Bales crosses her arms in front of a waterfall while posing for a photo.
Mercedes Bales

Mercedes Bales
High School: Swartz Creek High School
Hometown: Flint Township, Mich.
Major: Chemistry (Pre-Dental)

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
I chose Detroit Mercy because I wanted to stay at a university that offered both undergraduate learning and a Dental school. I also wanted to stay in the state, so I could go back home easily when needed. I decided to tour the University and when I fell in love, so did my dad. The University itself also has a great standing in the public eye, and I love that this is a religious-based university, because I want to get back in religious and spirituality.

I honestly love campus and living here. I did think at first that I would not be able to have a social life because the University is relatively small, but I have had a great time, and I have made great connections so far.

I am the oldest out of 12 children and I am also first generation.

What are your interests or hobbies?
I love nature, especially water. I try to stay active and one of my favorite sports is water skiing. I read often and I love playing the app “Heyday” on my phone.

The biggest lesson I have learned is how accountable I have to be with my education, compared to high school.

My biggest goal is to become a dentist. I do want to jumpstart my career by staying focused on my education and taking summer classes to lessen that time. The University is constantly checking up on me through my professors, advisors and even Tommy Titan’s text messages, and that really lets me feel supported as well as informed on where I can find help and resources that I might need.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose Chemistry because my career goal is to become a dentist. I also loved chemistry more than biology in high school. As a child, I always wanted to help people and I always loved the dentist growing up. This career also can offer me time that I plan to use to build a family of my own.

I definitely hope to experience connection through friendships or networking. I hope to grow and learn more from others either spiritually or through knowledge.

Where is your favorite spot on campus?
My favorite spot on campus is the group room in Shiple or the Library. 

Isabelle Francis takes a selfie in a vehicle.
Isabelle Francis

Isabelle Francis
High School: Stevenson High School
Hometown: Sterling Heights, Mich.
Major: Political Science

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
I chose Detroit Mercy because I have heard wonderful things about its Political Science program, and there is a great Law school here as well. The University is also close to home, and even though I live on campus, I can go home often.

Overall, it’s been good. I love my professors and the people I associate with are great.

I play different types of instruments: flute, piano, saxophone and trumpet.

What are your interests or hobbies?
I love music, the outdoors and I engage with a lot of community service as well. My friends and I often learn music pieces and play together.

I have realized that I need more help with my education and managing my workload now in college than I did when I was in high school.

Obviously graduate, but more specifically I want to have better time management and keep a high GPA. The University does a great job with introducing me to clubs and organizations, like with Titan Fest, that helped grow my social network and extracurricular activities.

Why did you choose your major?
Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to be a politician, and now I am here pursuing it.

I hope to experience more opportunities that pertain to my major and my own aspirations in life.

Where is your favorite spot on campus?
My favorite spot on campus is the lower level of the Student Union. It’s a great place to relax and play games with friends. I recently learned how to play pool there.