Curtis Chin reading and conversation, March 26

A colorful flyer featuring a receipt that reads, the Department of English and the Women's and Gender Studies Program presents A Reading and Conversation with Curtis Chin, author of Everything I Learned, I Learned in a Chinese Restaurant, March 26, reception at 5:30, event at 6 p.m., Bargman Room, second floor of the library.Writer, director, producer and activist Curtis Chin will read from his new memoir, Everything I Learned, I Learned in a Chinese Restaurant, in a reading and conversation at Tuesday, March 26 in the Bargman Room, second floor of the McNichols Campus Library. The reception begins at 5:30 p.m. and event at 6 p.m.

The book is about growing up Asian American in Detroit and coming out in his working-class immigrant community as well as being a first-generation college student at the University of Michigan. The Associated Press calls Everything I Learned, “a candid, sometimes funny reflection on growing up Chinese American and gay in Detroit in the 1970s and 1980s.

Chin is co-founder of the Asian American Writers’ Workshop, a nonprofit literary arts organization dedicated to promoting Asian American writers. He has written for CNN, Bon Appetit, the Detroit Free Press and the Emancipator/Boston Globe as well as network and cable television.

The event is co-sponsored by the College of Liberal Arts and Education, Department of English and Women’s and Gender Studies Program.

Register here!