ESPN feature: Antoine Davis’ quest for more than just the all-time scoring record

Detroit Mercy men’s basketball standout Antoine Davis recently surpassed 3,000 career points and is passing collegiate legends in seemingly just about every game in points and career 3-pointers. ESPN.com featured Davis in an article on Dec. 21 about his quest for more than scoring records.

Davis grew up mimicking ‘Pistol Pete’ Maravich’s dribbling drills, watching YouTube videos in middle school. Now, the Titan legend and all-time leading scorer in school and Horizon League history is poised to join him amongst the all-time scoring greats in NCAA history.

And while Davis has enjoyed his pursuit of scoring records, they did not remain his focus. He’s aiming at team accomplishments over individual accolades.

“I’d pick my team in the NCAA tournament,” Davis said. “That’s something I’ve always wanted to be a part of: be in the NCAA tournament. When my dad was [head coach] at Texas Southern [from 2012 to 2018], they ran [the SWAC] conference and they always went to the NCAA tournament and I always got to go with them. I experienced it from a spectator standpoint. I really want to be a part of something like that. If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely choose doing it with this team that we have and going to the tournament instead of just breaking the scoring record.”

ESPN.com feature story.

Antoine Davis wearing a red Detroit Mercy 0 jersey pulls up for a shot with fans and other players in the background inside of an arena.