Student Spotlight: Yanbo Deng

Student Spotlight: Yanbo Deng

A photo of international student Yanbo Deng, who is standing by a pier with a body of water behind him (and hills/mountains in the horizon)Our Student Spotlight shines on international student Yanbo Deng!

• Hometown: Huainan, Anhui, China
  • Year & Major: Graduate student, Electrical & Computer Engineering
  • Languages Spoken: English and Chinese

“Freedom is the biggest gain for me when I study in the United States. It is nothing but the professors, classmates, alumni and the whole atmosphere of the University that led me to freedom, to think freely, to position my career and life freely and to insist on doing things that many people around me do not understand. Let me thoroughly understand what I can do, understand what I am best at, understand what I can do to make the greatest contribution to the society and more understand what I should do and how I should do.”

What shocked you upon coming to the United States?

Equal interpersonal relationship and harmony between man and nature.

What have you learned about yourself since arriving in the U.S.?

I’ve learned how to establish my personal life far away from family, how to dream big and work hard and how to interact with others from different cultures.

What do you like best about Detroit Mercy and the U.S.?

I love the diverse lifestyle and respect between people, kindness and helpfulness of others when you need someone and friendly people.