His 36-year-career with Deloitte & Touche has taken him to posts in China, Australia and The Netherlands. He served as a global leader of Deloitte Touche member firms’ sustainability group and represented the firm in various forums such as the World Business Council for Sustainable Development and GRI. He is a former chair and current member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Sustainability Assurance and Advisory Task Force. Hespenheide is frequently asked to speak and write on the topic of sustainability at international conferences and events. He is a past trustee of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Research Foundation and has served on numerous IIA committees over the years. In 2016, he was named to the IIA’s Hall of Distinguished Audit Professionals. He serves on the Board of Advisors for Detroit Mercy’s College of Business Administration and the Dean’s Advisory Committee for the Louisiana State University business school.
Hespenheide is a longtime supporter of various cerebral palsy-related organizations including serving on the board for United Cerebral Palsy Association, UCP of Metro Detroit and the Cerebral Palsy Foundation. He was awarded the UCPA’s National Volunteer of the Year for his work with the Detroit affiliate. He has also supported the United Way of Southeast Michigan for nearly four decades.
The six other men being honored with Hespenheide this year are
- Clifford C. Cook ’69, ’70, College of Engineering & Science, retired Senior Vice President, Marathon Petroleum Company LLC
- Joseph Coriaty ’78, School of Architecture, Managing Partner, Frederick Fisher & Partners
- Henry G. (Hank) Durkin ’73, College of Liberal Arts & Education, retired Technical Account Manager, Microsoft
- Vernon R. (Ven) Johnson ’86, School of Law, Owner and Founding Member, Johnson Law PLC
- Richard Persiani, D.D.S. ’73, M.S., School of Dentistry, Affiliate Professor, Detroit Mercy Dental
- Derk Pronger ’94, College of Health Professions, COO Beaumont Farmington Hills
Check back to see their stories.