Women’s History Month/Title IX profiles: Hannah Alexis

Women's soccer student-athlete Hannah Alexis surveys the field during a match at Titan Field.To honor Women’s History Month, University of Detroit Mercy’s Office of Marketing & Communications spoke to Titan student-athletes and coaches about their experiences in sports, which Title IX made possible. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the passage of the landmark legislation. 

Here’s what women’s soccer student-athlete Hannah Alexis had to say:

Hannah Alexis
Year: Senior
Hometown: Toronto, Canada
Major: English and Psychology
Expected graduation year: 2022
Sport: Women’s soccer

Why did you choose Detroit Mercy?
It was a goal to play sports in the United States. I always wanted to move out when I was 18. Not for any particular reason. I do love traveling and trying new things. I went to school in Japan for a little bit when I was 15. So I thought, ‘Let’s go to the States and see what it’s about.’

How did you get involved with sports?
My parents put me in soccer when I was really young. I never had video games as a kid, so all I did was play with the neighborhood kids and just practice soccer at school, too. So all around, I got involved with sports because of my parents and because of my friends.

How old were you?
In a league or as part of a team, I think I started when I was 7. But just fooling around and hanging out with friends, that was like way earlier, ever since I could walk, I guess.

What sports did you play?
I don’t know if people count this as a sport, but I used to do ballet when I was about 3. After that, I think I moved on to gymnastics. That’s when I moved on to soccer. Other than that, I didn’t play anything else.

What has your experience as a student-athlete at Detroit Mercy been like?
It’s been an interesting experience. I definitely do like my teammates. I believe there could be a lot of improvements on the facilities and on the meal plans. I don’t think I’m the only person who thinks that way. Overall, I like the sense of community that we have with the sports teams, especially because we go to a small school.

How has participating in sports shaped your life experiences?
I use it for job applications. When they ask you if you know anything about teamwork. I say, ‘Yeah, I played soccer my whole life.’

I’ve met a lot of new people that I would never expect to meet, that I definitely would not talk to under different circumstances.

Playing a sport is beneficial because it forces you to get outside of your comfort zone, think outside the box and you’re really disciplined, too. You’ve got to follow these workouts. You’ve got to get up and be at practice on time. You’ve got to balance your homework and games, making sure you don’t have any assignments due on the same day you have games.

Overall I think it makes you a well-rounded person and it makes you ready for life and for the workplace.

Who is a role model that you’ve had in sports?
I had an athletic trainer when I was 15. He is still technically my trainer now, but I live in the States and he lives in Canada, so I don’t visit him often. But I do look up to him because he is 40 years old, I think, and he’s still in extremely good shape. He trains Olympic athletes and NCAA Division I athletes. He’s one of the few trainers who’s very knowledgeable about what he does, but he’s still always willing to learn more. Just because he has his degree or a certificate or whatever, it doesn’t mean that he just stops there. He’s always hungry for more information, and I look up to him because that’s the type of person I want to be. I want to just keep growing, even as I age.

Check out our other profiles on our women student-athletes and coaches: Women’s lacrosse student-athlete Kaileigh Nuessgen.